Thursday, July 06, 2006

Just Our Luck



The above photo is probably the last pleasant moment of our short lived camping trip. This trip (Today is Thursday) has taken so many strange turns. It originally started as a camping trip filled with hiking, reading, and fire building. That lasted for about two hours until the rain came. I guess I made the tent wrong because we were soaked while trying to sleep for the entire night. Like this wasn't enough, later into the night, Allie and I woke up to a huge light going back and forth in our area, as if someone was searching our site. This is not something you want to wake up to at 1 in the morning. It turns out that someone just had an extremely powerful flashlight and it kept sweeping our campground. The next morning, instead of hiking on soaked soil, we decided to go into Helen, a local town, to spend the day. Being utterly exhausted from lack of sleep the previous night, we decided that we should just check into a quaint hotel for the night and come back to the tent the next day. Maybe this was a waste of money, but you have to remember that we had no sleep and spent the entire night wet. You would think that this would have been a good idea. Unfortunately, this was not the case. See picture of said hotel.....




...disgusting.....disgusting. I personally enjoyed the red carpet, the terrible entertainment center, and the outdoor white table disguised as a dinner table. You should have seen the bathroom. The next morning as we headed back to the campground- by the way, it poured that night too- we got to our tent...and felt really depressed. Although neither would admit it, we both wanted to leave.

Two hours from home, as I became more and more completely lost on backroads, I made one last try for "happiness"....looks like I'll be doing this twice in the next month or so with brother, Kel.




...I'll let you know tomorrow, when we go, if it rains or not. That would seal the day if it did.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to hear it. After a 10K walk around Liege and all its various and sundry brasseries (no, not brassieres -- although I saw many of them as well), I ended up at Quick Burger just like Brother Jeff. We're losers.

Whenever the spoiled offspring of baby boomers try camping trips, they end up in hotels or right back where they started within .5 - 1 night. That's a fact. Remember the Montpier Farms camping trip in '95 or thereabout?

Anonymous said...

I don't want to hear it. After a 10K walk around Liege and all its various and sundry brasseries (no, not brassieres -- although I saw many of them as well), I ended up at Quick Burger just like Brother Jeff. We're losers.

Whenever the spoiled offspring of baby boomers try camping trips, they end up in hotels or right back where they started within .5 - 1 night. That's a fact. Remember the Montpier Farms camping trip in '95 or thereabout?
Special K

Anonymous said...

Children of baby boomers. yes. how exactly were we spoiled?

Jeffrey J Way said...

I don't know what you are referring to, friend.

Anonymous said...

Jeff - I believe he's referring to the "so basically you rented these..." scenario. I'm sure you're remember with a little effort...