Thursday, January 12, 2006

Brugge, Belgium


I felt like Harry, Ron, and Hermione today when I got on the train to see Brugge. When I asked for help, people would look at me like I was a fool. But that's the thing; I have to do things alone...and I've found security in knowing that. Brugge dead-up feels like you're walking through Disney World (See included photos). I also enjoyed going into a pub where two, and only two, slurring Flemish speaking losers were playing pool. As you stay out here and "master" the culture...that is the French culture... like I have, you find that this is the norm for all restaurants and bars. I've always lived by the philosophy "When in Rome". So what did I do to blend in? I rejected the Belgium-native tap beer and ordered a "Bellevue Kriek Max" and read Harry Potter in a corner.

The city is beautiful and is worthy of nice and friendly words. Unfortunately, at one point, I was forced to show a Brugge student my bicep so that he would back down and give me some Euros. What people fail to realize that it's a dog eat dog world...and I eat dogs.

Of course I missed my train by about ten minutes (these cities are so complicated and confusing), so I had to hang around the station for about an hour until the next one arrived. At one point, I went to the restroom... to use the restroom. The women's and the men's room were across from each other with the doors open. In the middle is a table where a woman sits... probably being paid....who greets you. The problem here is that the urinals are right in front of the woman. She can see everything! Needless to say, I don't feel pretty good about peeing in front of Belgian woman. .... .... I held it.



Kel and I will prolly go bow hunting or something like that later tonight. K Bye.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I respect the sense of adventure highly. Kudos from Brother to Brother. -Kel

Next trip: Egypt.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a sort of Harry Potter day....The heck with Egypt....next trip...Hogwarts!
Allie

Anonymous said...

I vote for Egypt. Maybe you could rent a camel or something.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

We could be in Egypt in 6 hours from right this second. A better couple of brothers would say WTF.

Anonymous said...

I love you Michelle.

Husband Kel gettin' Mushy.

Anonymous said...

I love you too husband.